Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Friday, September 17, 2004

Demanding plastic surgeon and a dictator's downfall

How did it become Friday already? I've already missed half my German class today because I slept in. Last night I met some old friends for dinner in Neuköln, one of whom is visiting Berlin from NZ for a few days. It was good, although everyone was speaking German and although I could understand everything, I don't have the confidence to jump in and say something. Although I often have a similar problem in English..
Jörgen, the plastic surgeon, rang me at 11:30pm. I didn't answer it (was still at dinner, of course) and he left a message, then rang back. I don't like that, especially when it's late. If I don't answer the phone, you shouldn't call back unless it's a bloody emergency (or a job offer)! He said he wanted to see me and I don't know if he meant right then or if it was just his not-so-good English. I felt a bit harrassed. I had met him again earlier this week, unsure if I should meet him again, but it went okay. He said he wants me to teach him English (he's already taking classes) and I was going to say yes, because it would be easy money and I need some of that, but if he's going to call late and be demanding it's not worth it.
Yesterday I went to see Der Untergang with my class in the afternoon. I understood most of it and of course I knew the plot so it wasn't too hard. They lost me a bit when discussing military strategies, but the map of Berlin with red squares and arrows pointing inwards was fairly self-explanatory. The actor who played Hitler was really good, although his strong Bavarian accent made it hard to understand everything. I think it's the first commercial German film about WW2, which is quite a step I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home