Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Monday, December 13, 2004

Stubbed Out

I support the new law that's just been passed in NZ, which states that no one may smoke in bars. I used to smoke in bars sometimes, partly because the combination of alcohol and cigarettes is just too tempting, but also because I figured, well, I was breathing in all this smoke anyway, and went home feeling like I'd smoke a whole pack and stunk of it, so why not. It will be strange when I go back to see what a smokefree bar is actually like.

Apparently, and I hadn't considered this, but when you remove smoke from a bar all the other unpleasant odours make themselves known - sweaty men and farting, for example. Yuck!

We have caved in and decided to go to London for New Year. We'll be here for Xmas, but have more friends in London to celebrate with :) Everyone I know here is heading off somewhere too, so it would have been a bit quiet and I hear that people spend the night just randomly throwing around fireworks and burning each other, which doesn't sound that great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home