Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Film

My faith in humanity, which has been somewhat shaken lately with grumpy people barging into each other on the street to get out of the cold faster, was restored a bit today. A tram driver stopped after passing the stop I was trying to get to and let me in, just so I could get away from the -1 degree C day (at midday, the allegedly warmest time). Sometimes people simply do something nice. Maybe it has something to do with heightened Xmas goodwill. Or maybe he was simply feeling all warm inside from drinking the Glühwein which is everywhere at the moment.

A few posts ago I talked about outdoor ice-skating. If you like having a cold bum you can also go to Potsdamer Platz, the former No-Man's Land now filled with modern buildings, and go careening down a snowy slope on a rubber tyre surrounded by dance music. Actually it looked fun, but the slope was too short to get any real momentum going. Instead I ate a very lemony and sugary crepe and went to see The Incredibles, the new Pixar movie. It was showing at Cinemaxx, Berlin's biggest and most commercial cinema, but because I was seeing it in English the cinema was tiny. (I don't have anything against German movies, just dubbed ones, although I'll go and see a dubbed Spanish movie or something if it's the only way I can see it here).

The Incredibles was good, if formulaic and over-hyped. But I'm most looking forward to seeing Finding Neverland and Lemony Snicket's Blah Blah, which I'll have to see in London when I go there next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home