Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Juice and ice...but not together

The man at our local bottle store is quite a character, and damn if he doesn't know what he's doing. The first time I ever met him I was buying some orange juice and he proceeded to advise me carefully as though I were buying a car, about what was best value and healthiest in the long run, etc. Whenever I go there he tallies up my purchases like a professional salesman: "ONE bottle of sugar-free-and-very-healthy orange juice, TWO bottles of extremely-healthy-and-remember-to-shake-the-bottle-
before-you-open-it tomato juice, ONE bottle of-fine-red-wine-don't-drink-it-
all-at-once-you'll-regret-it-in-the-morning."

At Alexanderplatz they've set up an ice-skating rink outside, and tonight I watched enviously as all the kids skated effortlessly round, the black sky overhead, fake Xmas trees all around, the TV tower looking over them. I have ice-skated (in NZ, in the country's one indoor rink) twice in my life and spent more time on my ass than my feet, but maybe if I'd had a bit more practice...anyway, it's fun. Apparently here when the lakes freeze over in winter you can ice-skate on the surface, which must be amazing. I'd love to do that if there was a metal rail to hold onto ;) Although apparently every year some people fall through the ice and die, which wouldn't be fun at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home