Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Saturday, December 04, 2004

From beer and culture to sushi and sexy

Tonight I had a wander through the Kulturbrauerei, which is round the corner. The building is made of brick and occupies a whole block. It used to be a brewery (and its basement was a torture chamber at some point too) but is now filled with cinemas, theatres and clubs. There's a huge courtyard in the middle which is currently occupied by, you guessed it, a Xmas market. It also had one of those harness trampoline things for kids where they get strapped in and jump really high. You could see anxious parents' heads bobbing up and down just to make sure their darlings weren't propelled into the stratosphere.

Because it's winter now, all of the many little kids in the area are wrapped up so much that it's kind of hard to tell if there's a real kid inside all those layers.

We went to a nearby Indian restaurant for dinner. Since I last lived here five years ago there's a lot more international food available in Berlin, even if it's not always authentic enough for people who are fussier than me. Sushi, for example, is everywhere now and it used to be hard to find. It's still expensive though. And I miss that whole sitting on a beach in New Zealand eating fresh fish and chips thing. Or as we call it, fush and chups. A very handsome Spanish man once told me that my New Zealand accent was the sexiest accent in the world and I still cling to that, even if it was a line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home