Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Don't wave your stick at me, sir

Went to see a movie called Rhythm Is It today, it was actually a pretty good documentary about the conductor of the Berliner Philharmonie, Sir Simon Rattle, who takes on a project prepping some disadvantaged high school students for a performance. Along the way he talked about how passionate music makes him. I saw him conducting a few months ago and it would be fair to say he goes into his own universe when waving his stick about (oh, you know what I mean). Apparently his fluffy grey hair and wild mannerisms have earned him a few groupies, too. I didn't know there were groupies in the classical world, but when he's running on and off the stage for his first, second and third encore, then blowing kisses and accepting flowers, it's a sign there's a rock star in there somewhere. He just lacks that crowd-surfing spontaneity...

It looks like we'll have to move out of this flat a few days earlier, due to the landlord being a bit flaky. Oh well, we already have somewhere else to go - a flat in Oranienburgerstrasse in Mitte, furnished for short-term, some sort of inaccurate "Japanese concept" decor that had my Japanese friend in hysterics when I was explaining it to her (I'll describe it when we've moved).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home