Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Friday, December 17, 2004

Our new flat

...has no internet. >:( But it does have a TV. It also has big, sloping windows that the snow will fall on when it snows, which it hasn't lately.

It is Japanese-themed. This means that in the bedroom there is a tatami mat on the floor and the edges are surrounded by stones. Apparently stones are usually in Japanese gardens, not bedrooms, but never mind. There are two kimonos hanging from the walls, which people usually wear, not hang on walls, but never mind.

But the scariest part is the stone life-sized Japanese warrior who stands in the living room and stares at me when I sit on the couch. I'm getting used to him now, but I still get a small fright every time I walk in the room. I would like to hide him away, but he's very heavy and there's nowhere for him to go. Anyway, I've decided to use him as our Xmas tree and then maybe with presents under him he will seem more benign.

Our flat is up three flights of stairs, which tests my endurance. To get to it you turn off Oranienburger Strasse, one of Berlin's main streets, and go up the stairs in the courtyard. The courtyard is pretty cool. It's called the "Kunsthof" (art courtyard) and has lots of little shops and cafes. It's on the same block as the Synagogue, which I haven't been inside but it has a huge golden dome that sparkles when the sun comes out and has two security guards outside in green uniforms, who try not to freeze as they stand in the cold and direct tourists.

On Oranienburger Strasse are heaps of cafes, but they're all mainstream and pretty much the same. Some of the back streets are more interesting - lots of alternative art galleries. One has a white flag hanging out of each window, and every few seconds one automatically waves, as though the building is surrendering.

Tomorrow we're going to London to see Muse in concert. Months ago I used my internet prowess (= I clicked my mouse repeatedly) to get some pre-sale tickets and actually I think it sold out even that day. Muse is one of my favourite live bands, and although I can only take so much of their hystrionics on my iPod, they are stunning in concert. So I can't wait!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home