Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Thursday, December 23, 2004

One sleep till Santa

This will be my last post before Xmas, since I'm in one of those nasty, multi-national Starbucks surfing wireless and they're closed for the next few days. (have tried to find wireless in our flat by waving my laptop around, which works sometimes but not enough :) )

It shall not be a white Xmas here, sadly. In fact, it's predicted to be yet another crappy, rainy day. But it's meant to snow a few days later and I'll be holding weather.yahoo.com to that. It did snow a little bit yesterday, and the temperature was about -10 C at midday. Apparently NZ is having one of the shittiest summers ever so far, but it's still about 20 degrees warmer there so it's all relative.

Our flat will look a little bit festive, at least. We have a few presents under our Japanese Warrior tree and we're heading to the English shop around the corner for a few things like big crackers, puddings and stuff. Xmas is never a particularly big deal for me, so I don't mind where I am for it.

Because it's Germany, we'll be opening presents on Xmas Eve which will seem a bit strange. Apparently Santa is less jolly here and more intimidating - often in a house with little kids, the father or a neightbour will dress up and burst in the door, demanding to know if the kids have been good and glowering down at them sternly as the nod their little heads and quake. I'm not expecting to see Santa this year - we haven't re-registered since moving flats (bad, bad Kiwis!) so he would never know how to find us. And I probably haven't been good enough anyway...

To anyone who's read my blog once, twice, or religiously on a daily basis this year, have a schöne Weihnachten und alles Gute im neuen Jahr.

Shona xx

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home