Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Hellos and Goodbyes

Today I had one last lunch with Yoko and Suah, who’s flying back to Korea on Friday. Sometimes it’s strange to have friends who I’ve never spoken to in English, but it’s a sign that my German’s improved, I guess. Suah comes and goes from Berlin for visa reasons and kind of juggles two lives. I love Berlin, and have come and gone myself a few times, but I’d find that too tiring.

On another topic, I got an email yesterday from an old friend – kind of complicated. He’s Australian but we met in Berlin in 2000 and were pretty much best friends. I was in a long-distance relationship at the time, and nothing happened (really – I surprised even myself), but we were close and even though we haven’t seen each other for a few years, I still consider him a good friend. He’s only going to be here over Xmas for a few days which is probably a good thing because unsurprisingly, things are pretty tense between him and my boyfriend when they see each other. So I’m looking forward to seeing him, in a careful sort of way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home