Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Drugs, money, playing the sausage

A friend of a friend is having P issues. For those who don't know, P stands for Pure Methamphetamine and there is a so-called "epidemic" of it in NZ. Many people who smoke P get addicted to it and some flip out and find themselves doing all sorts of crazy things, including murder. It's a horrible drug, that NZers take for lack of anything better - there are really strict border checks and hardly any coke or Ecstasy makes it through, hence the prices are sky-high and people turn to P for a cheap and widely available drug. It's not just gangs doing it, it's young kids and even professionals in their spare time. I've heard nothing but bad stories.
On a lighter note, here is a US episode that I've been downloading bit by bit called The Benefactor. On this umpteenth reality show, a self-made billionaire offers to give $1 million to whoever comes number one in his series of tests. Quite interesting to see who is doing well. but he clearly has favourites and it's not necessarily about being a clever businessperson, more about just brown nosing. Although I guess that's part of the business world.
Learned some more German slang in class today. The best were "Mein Freund zog mich immer durch den Kakao" (My friend always pulled me through the cocoa, ie mocked me.)
Another one was "Ich stand mir die Beine in den Bauch" (I stood with my legs in my tummy, ie waited so long that my legs shrank up to my stomach).
Yet another was "Ich spielte noch die beleidigte Leberwurst" (I played the offended sausage, ie I sulked - why sausage? It's Germany!)
And the last: "Sie wollte mir mal den Bären aufbinden" (She wanted to untie the bear again, ie deceive me)
Phrases in foreign languages are great. And it's always funny when you start mocking them and realise you have equally ridiculous ones in your own language, such as wearing the cat's pyjamas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home