Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Friday, January 07, 2005

Souvenir time

I bought some DVDs today - Gloomy Sunday, Herr Lehrmann, Goodbye Lenin and Das Boot. All in German. I was especially pleased with Gloomy Sunday because it's really hard to find.

I've been working on an article today about a New Zealand cafe in Berlin. I've been there twice and the food is really good - fresh fish and chips, pavlova, kiwifruit drinks. The owner was nice and invited me over for drinks, but it's only a few more days till we go now (sniff).

With my friend Louise from England I went to a big art exhibition and bought a poster to take back to NZ, which shows a big Gothic painting by a German artist called Schinkel. It also says which gallery it hangs in so I will be able to look at it on my wall and remember being here.

I'm starting to feel a bit sad about going actually, although it's time to leave and do something else for a while. It's hard to explain to people who haven't been to Berlin, but it just feels like home. If only I were British and then it would be a short flight away instead of two very long tiring ones. Anyway, I should stop feeling sorry for myself. Lots of people don't even get to travel, or when they do they get knocked over by tsunamis and stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home