Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Not in Asia

An email from my mother: "I'm pretty sure you're not in Asia at the moment, but can you just confirm..." This may seem a bit silly, but I'm known for my spontaneous trips and will actually be in Singapore in a few weeks' time, so it wasn't totally out of the question. But no, I was still here in Berlin, watching the rising death toll on BBC World. Apparently there are still 400 NZers unaccounted for - SE Asia is a common holiday spot or stopover for Kiwis going to or from the UK.

For the past few days I've been hanging out with an Australian friend here, someone I actually met in Germany but hadn't seen for 3 years, so it has been really good to catch up. Who knows when we'll see each other again, but he's thinking about Buenos Aires as somewhere to live, and I wouldn't mind going back there again.

We're booked on an EasyJet flight for London tomorrow morning, but it looks like we're not going. My boyfriend's pretty sick at the moment and so a big new year and sleeping on someone's living room floor probably isn't the best plan. I don't really mind - I've never been here for New Year (called Silvester in German for some reason - must ask someone why, actually).

1 Comments:

  • At January 3, 2005 at 7:56 AM, Blogger Vivi said…

    I know! I know!

    December 31 is the feast day for St. Sylvester (here it's Sylvestre). I only figured it out because in Paris all the restaurants had special menus posted for "le fete de sainte Sylvestre."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home