Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Silence

Funny German translation of an English title #27: The American TV show Murder, She Wrote, which is about a middle-aged female detective, becomes Mord ist ihr Hobby (Murder is her hobby), which sounds like she kills people the way others collect records or play tennis.

I was in a bookstore on Friedrichstrasse today, looking for some German DVDs to take back to NZ, when an announcement was made on the intercom: "Dear customers, please observe a worldwide three minutes' silence for the victims of the tsunami in Asia. Thank you."

It was like someone had zapped everyone with a stun-gun. Everybody not only shut-up, but froze in their tracks and barely moved a muscle for the full three minutes. Touching, but I don't know - isn't donating money for the still-living more helpful? Oh well.

After resuming motion, my visiting English friend and I went for a coffee. I'm going to miss the coffees in funky Berlin cafes, chatting on old sofas in the hazy, smoke-filled air, surrounded by cool artwork and music.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home