Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Cold!

Okay, I know it will get colder, but it’s a bit of a shock dealing with the upcoming winter. Last time I lived here I arrived in January, and everything seemed new and interesting, even the cold, dark days. It was also a bonus to see the days getting warmer and the leaves growing again.
This time is a bit different, because I’m doing things the other way around, and the honeymoon period is over. And at this time of year, it’s easy just to curl up in bed for four months with a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. Motivation to go outside goes way down, as it’s only light for about six hours and that light is pale and usually covered by clouds.
In Europe, and in England especially because the weather’s almost always crap, they have something called SADD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder. We don’t have that in NZ. It can get pretty cold down south, and there’s some great skiing, but it’s nothing like a dramatic as here. My German friends are already moaning about the cold and the dark. I’ve been advised to take herbal anti-depressants, just in case I start to go a bit mad. It’s amazing to think Norwegians come here for some respite!
Anyway, bring on the snow, I say. And it’s good to have a blog to keep me going. The comments section below is not compulsory, but I would love to hear from anyone who reads my ramblings. What do you do to keep happy when it’s c-c-c-cold?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home