Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Food, leaves and scary monsters

Yesterday I spent the day working on some articles I had to write. One of them was on expat food, so I made my way to a British shop and as highly professional “research” stocked up on lots of stuff. I’m not British (my great-great grandparents migrated to New Zealand in the 1800s, so no EU passport for me), but some of the food is good – for example, crisps that are not paprika-flavoured. Germans only seem to like that flavour, since that’s pretty much all you can buy.

The weather has become cold, dark and foggy most of the time, but here is a pic I took a few days ago of a cemetery-park just down the road from my flat. Isn’t it pretty?


I just scared myself shitless watching one of those videos online where a "monster" jumps out and scares you. Even though I expect it now, I still jump. The first time I saw one was early in the morning and there was a picture of a room and a caption said, "There is a ghost in this room, try and find it". So I stupidly peered at it for a few seconds, till it disappeared completely and a shrieking zombie poppped up. Here is one example.

Anyway, it's all very timely because Halloween is tomorrow. Apart from pumpkin carving, it's not such a big deal here but I will probably end up watching a horror movie or something. Any excuse... Happy Halloween! How many Americans will dress up as George W Bush this year, I wonder?

1 Comments:

  • At October 31, 2004 at 4:46 AM, Blogger Coco Church said…

    Hope you are enjoying your stay in Germany - I always liked it there. British food and tea is good!! Especially any type of Cadburys chocolate:) Have you tried Marmite yet? It's the UK's answer to Veggie Mite

     

Post a Comment

<< Home