Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Monday, November 01, 2004

Which language is prettier?

Ricarda is becoming less impressed with English the more she learns, and thinks German is a far more interesting and attractive language. So far my attempts to persuade her otherwise have failed. And it’s not an opinion I hear very often – most English people I know think German is a hideous language and associate it with Hitler standing at a podium, spittle flying and hands waving. When I was at school everyone learned French, perhaps because of a romantic association with chocolates and French men...
As a friend of mine put it who is studying German, “When you don’t understand it, it sounds like someone is angry with you. Now, I know this person is nice and is probably just talking about the weather, but it sounds a bit like he wants to hurt me.”
I know many people who love the German language and make it a lifelong goal to learn more and more. The American author Mark Twain, who wrote Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn etc, wrote a whole book called The Awful German Language, but despite his frustration at how hard it is he still loved it.
But does anyone love English? Does anyone learn it for how it sounds, or just because it’s the default international language?
There was a competition in Germany (and overseas) recently to suggest the best German word. What is the best English word? Let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

  • At November 1, 2004 at 9:23 PM, Blogger Vivi said…

    Hiya Shona! Found you through BE...

    My favorite english word is "home." Not because I'm so far away from mine, but because to an english-speaker, this word evokes so many visuals, memories, sensations and emotions. The french just use the word "maison," which I don't think really evokes the same feeling (but I could be totally wrong).

     
  • At November 2, 2004 at 10:54 AM, Blogger the dude said…

    :) i for one would really.. as in really like to learn german.. if only i had the time.. and a cute mentor. :)

    are you up for it ? kidding... i know how to count in german though... :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home