Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Dies und Das

When you speak another language, your personality can change; you become more direct, you use different tones, it's like acting in a role.
Or when you don't know the words, your word use just becomes more economical. This doesn't always work. My boyfriend went to pick up a package and wanted to say, "I was expecting a package." But he didn't know the word for "expecting", so simply said "I was a package". Strangely enough, the woman understood.
On completely another subject, perhaps joining Orkut, the online channel, wasn't such a brilliant idea. Today I received an email four times from some nutter in India who wants to meet me. Will he pay for my plane ticket? "U r looking beutifull," he espoused. All very well and good, but also very creepy. But thus is the internet.
And on yet another topic, a friend of mine is having a baby. Not in Germany, but if she was there would be financial support from the government, a "stork wagen" to pick her up when she went into labour, and a name book from which she would be expected to select her child's new name. If it wasn't in the book, she'd have to leave to country to name her baby. I don't think I'd like to have a baby here, not that I have a choice in the matter. A bilingual kid would be great, but I'd want him/her to have the beach nearby and not live through long, cold winters every year. And of course Marmite for breakfast.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home