Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Monday, October 18, 2004

Too scared to rent another DVD

A few posts ago I entralled everyone with an enlightening description of joining a Berlin video library. Now I have to come back to the subject and say that actually returning the DVD I borrowed was also something new for me. For while in New Zealand the most expected is that you'll shove the borrowed DVD/video through a slot and walk off, hopefully not much later than a day after its due date, here in Germany it has become clear that you must deliver it in person, punctually of course, and then wait meekly as the video store geek inspects it sternly and thoroughly. Luckily I passed this unexpected test, but was chastised for not replacing the DVD in its plastic pouch facing the right way round (both sides looked the same to me). Anyway, much as I shy away from stereotypes, it seemed typically German to me. I wonder if library members are also treated like naughty schoolkids.
On a more positive note, I have discovered a cafe down the road that sells hot apple strudel with vanilla sauce and chocolate icecream. YUM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home