Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Saying Auf Wiedersehen...with detergent

There is really no word for goodbye in German. Auf Wiedersehen means literally, "until the again-see". But despite this optimism, there are some times when you know you're probably seeing someone for the last time. And today I said goodbye to two people - one was my teacher Marc, who was one of the best German teachers I've had, and Su-Ah, the Korean girl in my class.
To farewell Marc we dismissed the usual chocolate and flowers and bought him cleaning liquid. While this may seem strange...okay, it is, but many times he'd told us that when he's angry or restless or sad he'll often occupy himself by cleaning his flat. We hoped to be able to leave his present in the staff room, but the staff thought it was so hilarious that we were giving him cleaning liquid that we had to take in upstairs and present it to him in person with everyone watching. Embarrassing - yes. But I think he was touched anyway.
Su-ah has too much work to do and so isn't coming back this week. In a few weeks' time she is also heading back to Korea. Not for good - it's just she doesn't have a visa for Germany so gets around it by coming and going every few months. It sounds tiring but she loves Berlin and Korea less so, so for her it's worth it.
PS I am so excited. After just yesterday moaning that Muse, one of my favourite bands, never plays in Europe anymore )they even made a trip to NZ in September, a concert which I of course missed), they are now doing a show in December in Earl's Court, London. So exciting! Pre-sales start tomorrow and so I have a good chance of getting tickets. No way am I missing it. No, I won't be blogging live from the concert but it will definitely get a mention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home