Kiwi in Berlin

I'm just one of the 250 (registered) New Zealanders living in Berlin. Here I try to answer pressing questions such as: What are the Germans like? What happens in Berlin on a day-to-day basis? Why is NZ so far away? What does "playing the offended sausage" mean?

Friday, October 15, 2004

Sharkbait

I watched a film called Open Water last night. It was barely an hour long, but pretty intense. It's documentary-style and is based on a true story of a couple who were left behind on a diving trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef in 1998. Their bodies were never found, just some of their diving gear. It took the diving company over two days to figure out they were missing and even so the owner was found not guilty of manslaughter. It's just horrible. Whether they died from dehydration, or drowning, or being eaten by sharks, they're all horrible deaths. I went on a trip to Great Barrier Reef and had a blast, but I might think twice about it now. It's not the only time such a case has happened, either.
I guess part of the reason the story makes such an impression is that it is about everyone's fear of abandonment, so it's not too hard to put yourself in their poisition and imagine what it must feel like. Anyway, I've never felt so grateful not to be in the sea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home